Calls to report student weights

A top Australian medical professor says a child’s weight should be included on their school report card as part of a radical plan to battle obesity.

It’s hoped the move could spark discussion between teachers and parents about diet and exercise.

However, some child psychologists say it could trigger depression and anxiety, and lead to bullying.

The idea has been put forward by the same man who led Australia’s successful response to the AIDS epidemic.

For the full story, watch Call to report children's weight at Yahoo!7 News.

Should children's weight be recorded on student report cards?

1. pickles09:29am Tuesday 05th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Absolutely not!!!! A childs weight isn't a childs fault. WEight, if an issue, should be brought up to the parents by a meeting with the teacher if a teacher is concerned. Teachers should have the right to do this.

2. Christine01:33pm Sunday 20th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Rubbish... my grandchild has just been told now she is in Grade 3 she is not allowed on the play equipment except before and after school. Now she spends all day sitting.. either in class or in grounds because they are not allowed to run and play???? When so many are doing Gym as adults why are we ignoring our 8 - 18yr olds. The old saying Idle hands are devils playthings sounds about right. Kids with nothing to do get into more strife. Bring in more exercise/play equipment and also sports for fun not competiton.. Keep active. Keep fit campaign like in the 80s. Get off the couch.... Buy equipment not insurance.....

1 Reply
  3. Jackson12:18pm Tuesday 15th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Worst idea "done good in maths, good in English, oh but your kids fat!" haha yea,I'm sure that'll do it. :)

4. Toni07:35am Thursday 10th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

No way, when I was in year 6, a little bit chubby and self conscious, our teacher made us do a graph and everyone had to be weighed in front of the class and the weights displayed on the graph on the board for all to see. I was so scared to do this I pretended to be sick and stayed home the next day so I didn't have to weigh in. As it turned out when I went back the teacher made me do it anyway and I heard other kids talking about my weight in the playground. It was humiliating.

5. Steven08:09am Tuesday 18th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

You have got to be kidding me. At maccas I can get a 'meal' for under $5. If I go to get a sandwich it will cost me up to, if not over $6. What am I going to choose if I am on a budget???

1 Reply
  6. aaron08:46am Friday 14th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

everyone who does the shopping would no to eat healthy is very expensive...you can get most fast food meals now for about $5..to put a salad together cost about $10..and to weigh the kids at school thats very insulting to any child over weight..make eating healthy cheaper and problem solved..no fat in lettuce

7. Sue07:43pm Tuesday 11th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

It is stupid and degrading for labeling children this is not to happen.

8. 10:42am Tuesday 11th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

What a joke! My concern is for parents with children like duaghter (who is not by anymeans over weight she is perfect weight) though she does not think so, she thinks she needs to go on a diet! You do this the reprocussions will be tragic. Not a good idea, idiots sitting in a think tank getting paid the big bucks to come up with reduculass things like this! Wake up and think about what you will do to the children if you go ahead with this. What a reduculass idea! There will be a lot of very angry parents if this was to go ahead. I will not have my daughter's already fragiale image of herself added to by this!

9. Szann09:05am Monday 10th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Absolutely ridiculous!

10. Russell Hayden03:10pm Sunday 09th December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Am I p/off about this? You bet your sweet #$%$ I am. Look out teacher's and Politicians!!!