New cigarette packs 'the ultimate sick joke'

The first cigarettes in plain packaging have hit major supermarkets with Imperial Tobacco using the new packaging to directly challenge the government by telling its customers "it's what's on the inside that counts''.

Health Minister Tanya Plibersek has labelled the move as "the ultimate sick joke from Big Tobacco''.

Thoughts?

1. PATRIOT09:32am Sunday 14th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

what a Joke maybe have the look at Alcohole and illegal Drugs ,and see what Birth Defects both these do and the accidents on the Road these to cause aswell as family abuse and violence from drugs and Alchohole,,,Big Gig companies Teach this Government a Lesson ,they dont mind spending the Tax from Ciggs do they.

2. Malynda07:56am Wednesday 10th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

To make it really simple for all the people that are Nanny wrapping the world.... - Smokers DO NOT CARE about the packaging of smokes it's whats in the package that matters. - Smokers know the risks of desease associated with smoking we are not silly. Just felt you needed to know

3. Graeme02:28pm Thursday 04th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

this is going too far. Everyone (even children) have now been heavily indoctrinated with the dangers of smoking. Certain areas are trying to ban smoking out in the open. What next -- smoking rooms like injecting rooms? So much for a free country. I am a smoker. Graeme

4. Shireen03:51pm Friday 28th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

As a smoker, I KNOW that plain packaging will not stop me from smoking. And out of curiosity I spoke to some teens I kn0ow through work, and asked them if it would make a difference. The main response was "nup", the other unoriginal one was, "no one is going to tell me what I can't do" and the last was.... not surprisingly... "it makes them look way cool" Personally I am not surprised. I think this is just a measure to please a complaining group with no REAL thought on how the younger generation thinks. All they are doing is making smokes look MORE appealing to rebelious youth, rather than less.

5. Tom11:36am Monday 24th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Whilst I agree with the principle of minimising smoking in general and the associated health risks. Could this precedent lead to abhorent images connected to obesity, diabetes, rtc. on products containing sugar ? or similar images on alcoholic drinks relating to liver & kidney failure or packaging with deathly images of heart disease victims from foods containing salt & cholestorol, etc. As witnessed with TAC advertising, the shock value dissipates over time as the audience become increasingly desensitised.

6. Wayne08:21pm Friday 14th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Hey tanya pliber you are the only sick joke your face just makes me puke,light up a ciggie now,

7. Wayne08:19pm Friday 14th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

way to go cigie companys keep up the good work,smooke more cigs,

8. Philip07:25am Thursday 13th September 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Can we leave off with the "leadership speculation"! The proper term of address is "The Prime Minister", just watch Parliament. Questions go to The Minister for Education, or The Minister for X, or, yes really, to "The Prime Minister". There is no reason to add the PM's surname. This is the worst beat up I've heard from you guys in ages. Spend more time on the local terrorist related raids -- that is news and far more important.