4 duck breast fillets, skin scored
STAR ANISE MARINADE
80ml Chinese rice wine
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp ground star anise
2 tbs oyster sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
Finely grated zest and juice of ½ lime
1 tbs light olive oil
1 tsp fish sauce
150g snow peas, trimmed
40g chopped cashews, roasted
2 green spring onions, thinly sliced
1. To make marinade, stir rice wine, sugar and star anise in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Cool. Pour into a dish, just big enough to fit duck. Add duck, skin-side up, so that just the flesh is sat in the marinade, but the skin is above.
2. Refrigerate, covered, for 1 hour or up to overnight.
3. Remove duck from marinade and pat dry. Stand at room temperature for 15 minutes to bring to room temperature. Transfer marinade to a saucepan.
4. Preheat oven to 180C.
5. To make salad dressing, whisk all ingredients in a large bowl.
6. Cook snow peas in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Drain. Add to dressing with cashews and onions and toss to coat.
7. Season duck skin with salt. Place, skin-side down, in a cold frying pan over medium heat. Cook until skin is golden and crisp. Transfer to the oven for 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a warm plate, skin side up, to rest for 5 minutes. Slice thickly.
8. Bring marinade to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes.
9. Serve duck with salad. Drizzle duck with marinade.
This dish would also be great with some steamed rice or noodles.
For a more complex salad, try adding shredded carrot, capsicum or Chinese cabbage, mint, coriander or beansprouts.
NOTE: This recipe has not been tested.