4 baby beetroot
4 baby yellow beetroot
2 tsp olive oil, plus 2 tbs extra
2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed
2 thyme sprigs
3 garlic cloves
4 duck breasts, skin on
Micro herbs, to garnish
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
250g rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 1cm pieces
1 orange, zested
2cm-piece fresh ginger, finely grated
Salt and pepper, to season
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. To make chutney, stir sugar and vanilla seeds with 200ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Stir in rhubarb and simmer for 5 minutes or until softened. Strain mixture, reserving juice and rhubarb separately. Place juice back in pan and stir in orange zest and ginger. Simmer for a further 5 minutes or until reduced and thickened. Season. Add rhubarb and stir to combine.
3. Place beetroot in a small roasting dish. Roast for 30 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into wedges. Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Season.
4. Place carrots and thyme in a large piece of foil. Drizzle with extra oil, season and wrap to enclose. Roast for 30 minutes or until tender.
5. Season duck skin and place, skin-side down, in a cold frying pan over medium heat.
6. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until skin is crisp and golden. Transfer pan to oven and roast for 8 minutes. Transfer to a warm plate for 8 minutes to rest. Slice.
7. Divide duck, beetroot and carrots among serving plates. Garnish with micro herbs and serve with chutney to the side.