1 tsp olive oil
4 x 200g salmon fillets, skin on
Steamed asparagus, to serve
1kg potatoes, peeled
Vegetable oil, for frying
LEMON & DILL SAUCE
80ml thickened cream
1 tbs finely grated lemon zest
1 tbs lemon juice
1 egg yolk
2 tbs baby capers, rinsed, drained
2 tbs finely chopped fresh dill
1. To make chips, place potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes. Drain. Arrange chips on a cooling rack in a single layer. Refrigerate until cold.
2. Meanwhile, to make sauce, place cream and zest in a saucepan over low heat until simmering and slightly thickened. Whisk in juice and butter. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Add egg yolk, whisking until sauce thickens. Strain into a clean saucepan. Stir in capers and dill. Season.
3. To continue with chips, heat a deep-fryer to 180C. Working in batches, gently drop chips into the oil and fry until crisp and pale golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
4. Transfer to a baking paper lined tray, in a single layer. Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
5. To cook salmon, pat skin with absorbent paper to dry. Brush with oil and season with salt.
6. Heat a non stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook salmon, skin-side down, for about 5 minutes or until skin is golden and very crisp. Turn and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until cooked as desired.
7. Deep-fry chips a second time until crisp and dark golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper. Season with salt.
8. Serve fish and chips with sauce and asparagus.