(1) Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly dust a flat baking tray with plain flour. Sift self-raising flour into a large bowl.
(2) Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
(3) Make a well in the center. Add 1 cup of milk. Mix with a flat-bladed knife until mixture forms a soft dough, adding more milk if required. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth (don't knead dough too much or scones will be tough).
(4)Pat dough into a 2cm-thick round. Using a 5cm (diameter) round cutter, cut out 12 rounds. Press dough together and cut out remaining 4 rounds.
(5) Place scones onto prepared baking tray, 1cm apart.
(6) Sprinkle tops with a little plain flour. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and well risen.(7) Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm with jam and cream.