Vegetable oil, for brushing
200ml egg whites (approx 6 egg whites from 59g eggs)
80gr castor sugar
Salted caramel sauce
600 g sugar
200 g butter (diced)
15 g salt
300ml crème anglaise (see recipe HERE )
50gr toasted flaked almonds
50gr dehydrated strawberries
Icing sugar for dusting
- Pre heat the oven to 120˚C
- lightly grease a small roasting tray with oil and set aside
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gradually add 80g of the sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form. Spoon the meringue in to the roasting tray and even the top with a palate knife. Place the roasting tray inside a deep roasting tray and fill with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the small roasting tray. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until lightly browned. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and leave the small tray to stand in the water bath to cool.
- Meanwhile make the caramel sauce – place the sugar in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until dissolved. Add the cream and then the butter stirring continuously. Finally stir in the salt.
- Remove the meringue from the small baking tray by turning it over; the meringue should just slide out, cut in to 6 pieces.
- To serve, use your imagination! A slice of meringue, a splash of crème anglaise and a few dabs of caramel sauce, sprinkle over the toasted almonds and strawberries.