Delicious snails... without the slime!
Puff pastry sheets
Milk – for glazing
Shredded or desiccated coconut
Green food dye
What You’ll Need
Medium sized baking tray, lined with baking paper
(1) Line your baking tray with baking paper.
(2) Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
(3) Spread the chocolate on the pastry sheet but leave about 3cm at one end without chocolate – your snail needs a head!
(4) Tightly roll the pastry into a log shape. Stop when you reach the bit without chocolate – leave that sticking out.
(5) Get an adult to cut roughly 1 ½ cm pieces along the log.
(6) Now it’s time to shape your snails! To do this, pinch the front part of the pastry and shape it into the snail’s body.
(7) Place the snails on the baking tray, about 2cm apart.
(8) Using your pastry brush, brush the top of the snails with a little milk – this will help them brown.
(9) Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
To Make the Grass
(1) Place 2 cups of coconut (Shredded or desiccated) into a small bowl.
(2) Place 2 drops of green food dye into the bowl, and mix thoroughly. (Adjust your dye amount to achieve your perfect coloured grass!)
(3) Evenly spread your ‘grass’ on a large plate, and place your snails on the plate.
Wake up to a better breakfast with Melissa Doyle and David Koch for all the latest news, sport and weather.Like