4 x 200g skinless Spanish mackerel fillets
finger lime segments, to garnish
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 long green chillies, thinly sliced
3 long red chillies, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
4cm piece fresh ginger, grated
2 stalks curry leaves
1 large tomato, chopped
2 cardamom pods, bruised
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp black mustard seeds
600ml coconut milk
juice of ½ lemon
1 tbs ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 stick cinnamon
250g basmati rice, washed
1 litre hot vegetable stock
1 cup coriander leaves
2 green spring onions, finely chopped
125g plain yoghurt
1. To make sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, chillies, garlic, ginger and curry leaves until onion is soft, but not coloured. Stir in tomato and spices. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
2. Sir in coconut milk and cream. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
3. To make kichdee, melt ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat.
4. Stir in spices. Add rice. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in stock. Cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until stock is absorbed and rice is tender.
5. Stir in coriander, onions and yoghurt. Season.
6. Add fish to sauce over medium heat. Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes or until fish is just cooked through.
7. Serve fish and sauce with kichdee rice. Garnish with finger lime segments.
• The molee sauce is quite astringent from the turmeric and lemon juice. Add a little sugar if you prefer to balance it out.
• For a smooth sauce, simply strain before using to remove whole spices and curry leaves.
• This recipe has been tested.