2 medium mangoes, cut into 3cm pieces
pulp of 4 passionfruit, strained
Crushed roasted pistachios, to garnish
SAFFRON CRÈME ANGLAISE
1 litre whole milk
10 saffron threads
10 egg yolks
220g caster sugar
660g caster sugar
6 green cardamom pods, bruised
2 tsp rosewater
120g full cream milk powder
75g self-raising flour
¼ tsp ground cardamom
80ml thickened cream
melted ghee, for deep frying
1. To make crème anglaise, heat milk and saffron in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until hot.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to same pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes or thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain.
3. To make syrup, stir water, sugar and cardamom pods in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until thickened to form a syrup. Stir in rosewater.
4. To make dumplings, sift combined milk powder, flour and cardamom into a bowl. Using your hands, stir in cream to form a soft dough. Roll dough into walnut-size balls.
5. Deep fry dumplings in batches until dark golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper then add to hot syrup to soak for 30 minutes.
6. Combine mangoes and passionfruit in a bowl.
7. Serve dumplings with mango and passionfruit and crème anglaise. Garnish with pistachios.
• This recipe has not been tested.