300g crème fraîche
1 tsp vanilla paste
finely crushed pretzels, to garnish
75g dark chocolate
75g milk chocolate
200g brown sugar
150g self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
3 room temperature eggs, lightly beaten
100g macadamia nuts
375ml stout beer
2 tbs caster sugar
100g dark chocolate, chopped
200g thickened cream
250ml boiling water
90ml espresso coffee
100g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line base and sides of a 20cm sqaure cake pan with baking paper.
2. To make brownie, stir milk and dark chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until smooth and combined.
3. Sift combined sugar, flour and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in melted chocolate and butter mixture. Stir in eggs. Stir in nuts.
4. Pour mixture into pan.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes or until just cooked, but still slighlty soft in the centre. Cool in pan. Remove from pan and cut into squares.
6. To make mousse, stir stout and sugar in a saucepan until sugar dissolves. Simmer until reduced by about half to form a syrup. Pour hot syrup over chocolate. Stir until melted and smooth.
7. Using an electric mixer, beat cream until soft peaks form. With motor operating, gradually add in stout and chocolate mixture until combined. Pour into serving glasses or a shallow dish if you wish to quenelle it. Refrigerate until set.
8. To make syrup, stir water, coffee and syrup in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer untilt thickened to form a syrup. Cool completely.
9. Whisk crème fraiche and vanilla paste until combined.
10. Serve brownie with mousse, syrup and crème fraiche. Sprinkle with crushed pretzels to garnish.
• This recipe has not been tested.