Ham & Gruyere Bake
9 slices bread (we used a sourdough), crusts removed
9 tsp wholegrain mustard
500g smoked ham, thinly sliced
1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped tarragon
350g Gruyere cheese, grated
1 tbs olive oil
400g red onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1kg truss tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1kg baby spinach
1. To make relish, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic until very soft. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season. Simmer for about 45 minutes until thickened and reduced. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 190C. Liberally grease a baking dish (big enough to arrange 3 slices of bread over base in a single layer).
3. Spread one side of bread slices with mustard and arrange 3 slices over base of dish. Top with half the ham and herbs and sprinkle with a third of the cheese. Season. Repeat layering twice leaving off cheese at the end.
4. Whisk eggs and milk until combined. Season. Pour mixture evenly over bread. Sprinkle with final layer of cheese.
5. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for about a further 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cut into squares.
6. To cook spinach, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic until soft. Stir in spinach until wilted.
7. Serve bake with relish and spinach.