Plain flour, for dusting
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ panko bread crumbs
vegetable oil, for deep frying
grated parmesan and chopped parsley, to garnish
1 ½ cups plain flour
250ml warm milk
½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
¼ cup finely grated parmesan
5 tbs butter
2 leeks, finely chopped
150g shitake mushrooms
100g speck, cut into 1cm cubes
1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp finely chopped fresh oregano
1 small red capsicum, quartered
1 long red chili, halved
2 egg yolks
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tbs white wine vinegar
250ml vegetable oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbs Dijon mustard
1. To make béchamel sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles. Gradually whisk in milk to form a sauce. Cook, stirring, over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in cheeses. Season.
2. To make croquettes, place potatoes in a large saucepan of cold salted water. Bring to a gentle boil. Boil until tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate.
3. Return to saucepan and mash over lowest heat until smooth and water has evaporated.
4. Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook leeks, mushrooms and speck for about 10 minutes or until mixture is soft. Stir in herbs.
5. Transfer to large bowl and stir in mashed potatoes and béchamel sauce. Season well.
6. Roll mixture into walnut-size balls and transfer to a tray in a single layer. Refrigerate until cold.
7. Dust croquettes in flour, dip in egg and roll in breadcrumbs. Deep fry in batches until golden and crisp.
8. To make harissa mayo, deseed the capsicum and chilli. Cook capsicum and chilli under a hot grill, turning occasionally, until charred. Peel away skin. Place in a blender and blend until smooth.
9. Process egg yolks, juice and vinegar until smooth. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until thick and smooth. Add remaining ingredients and process to combine. Stir in capsicum and chilli puree. Season. Refrigerate.
10. Serve croquettes with mayo. Garnish with cheese and parsley.
This recipe has not been tested.