4 medium potatoes, thickly sliced
4 x 200g eye fillet steaks
4 red capsicums
1 brown onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp freshly ground cumin
1 tbs olive oil
1 eschallot, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
200g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
250ml thickened cream, whipped to firm peaks
1 large egg yolk
3 tbs freshly grated Parmesan
2 tbs chives, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. To make capsicum puré, place whole capsicums on an oven tray and cook for about 20 minutes or until skin is charred and blistered. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Stand for 10 minutes. Peel and discard skin. Cut flesh into strips.
3. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft. Stir in spices and capsicum.
4. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
5. Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling water until almost tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate.
6. Place on a greased oven tray in a single layer. Drizzle with oil and season. Roast until golden and tender.
7. To make mushroom gratin, heat butter and oil in frying pan over medium heat. Cook eschallots and garlic until soft. Add mushrooms and cook until all liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are tender. Transfer to a bowl to cool completely. Stir in remaining ingredients.
8. Preheat oven to 200C.
9. Heat a frying pan over high heat. Season steaks all over and brush with oil. Cook, turning once, until browned on each side.
10. Transfer to an oven tray and top with mushroom mixture.
11. Roast for about 3-5 minutes or until cooked as desired. Transfer to a warm plate, lightly covered, to rest for minutes.
12. Serve steak and potatoes with capsicum puré.
This recipe has not been tested.