3 egg yolks
75g finely grated parmesan
2 tbs olive oil
75g pancetta, cut into 2cm pieces
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
extra grated parmesan, to serve
400g Tipo '00' pasta flour
1 tsp salt
1. To make fettuccine, place flour and salt in a processor to combine. Add eggs. Process to form a crumbly dough.
2. Knead dough on a lightly floured bench for about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic (it will lose it's rough, floury texture).
3. Stand, covered, for 20 minutes to rest. Divide into quarters. Pass quarters through a pasta machine on the widest setting, dusting dough with flour between rolls, increasing settings until about 2mm thick.
4. Pass pasta sheets through a fettuccine cutter. Place fettuccine on a lightly floured tray (or hang) for 15 minutes, to dry a little before cooking.
5. Whisk egg yolks and parmesan in a bowl to combine.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook until crisp, adding garlic and thyme for last 1 minute.
7. Cook fettuccine in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender or al dente. Drain. Add to pan with pancetta and toss to coat.
8. Remove from heat and stir through egg yolk mixture. Season.
9. Serve fettuccine carbonara with grated parmesan.
This recipe has not been tested.