4 zucchini flowers
vegetable oil, for deep frying
Micro herbs, to garnish
600g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 4cm pieces
2 tbs olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
4 tbs fresh rosemary leaves
1 red birds eye chilli, finely chopped
400g arborio rice
120ml white wine
800ml hot chicken stock
50g grated parmesan
170g pitted kalamata olives, sliced
ZUCCHINI FLOWER FILLING
300g ricotta cheese
finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 egg yolk
250ml sparkling iced water
145g rice flour
80g tapioca starch
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. To make risotto, place pumpkin on an oven tray. Toss with half the oil and season.
3. Roast for about 20 minutes or until charred and almost tender.
4. To make risotto, heat butter and remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and celery until soft. Stir in rosemary and chilli.
5. Add rice. Cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes. Add wine. Simmer until almost evaporated. Add stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly between additions, until stock is absorbed and rice is tender but still al dente. Stir in roasted pumpkin, parmesan and olives. Season.
6. To make zucchini filling, combine ingredients in a medium bowl. Remove stamens from centre of each zucchini flower, then spoon or pipe filling into centre. Twist petals to close.
7. To make batter, whisk egg yolk and iced water in a small bowl until combined. Add combined sifted flours and use a knife to just mix it together (do not whisk it or you will overwork the flour).
8. Working in batches, dip zucchini flowers in batter, allow excess batter to drain off, then gently drop into oil and fry, turning halfway, for 4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season.
9. Serve risotto with zucchini flowers. Garnish with micro herbs.
This recipe has not been tested.