4 green apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
280g (2 cups) dates, pitted, chopped
2 tsp bicarb of soda
250g unsalted butter
440g (2 cups) caster sugar
2 cups (220g) chopped walnuts
2 tsp vanilla essence
450g (3 cups) plain flour
Sliced strawberries, to decorate
125g unsalted butter
220g (1 cup) brown sugar, firmly packed
80ml (⅓ cup) milk
70g (1 cup) shredded coconut, toasted
2 cups (220g) walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
100g butter, softened
250g cream cheese, softened
110g (⅔ cup) icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 180C and line 2 x 12 ⅓ -cup-capacity holes of a muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Place apples, dates and bicarb in a bowl and pour over 500ml (2 cups) boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes, then drain.
3. Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in sifted flour. Stir in apple and date mixture.
4. Divide mixture among paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. To make topping, stir butter, sugar and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spoon mixture on top of cupcakes and set aside to set.
6. To make butter cream, using an electric mixer, beat all ingredients together for 2-3 minutes or until pale and fluffy.
7. Top cupcakes with buttercream and strawberries to serve.
This recipe has been tested.