Fine polenta, to dust
Icing sugar, to dust
5 egg whites
190g unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
1 tbs finely grated lemon zest
120g (1 cup) roasted almond meal
200g (1¼ cups) icing sugar
50g (⅓ cup) plain flour
2 egg yolks
165g (¼ cup) caster sugar
100g cold butter, chopped
2 lemons, zested, juiced
2 egg whites
110g (½ cup) caster sugar
1. To make friands, preheat oven to 200C and lightly grease 12 holes of a friand pan. Dust with polenta.
2. Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until frothy. Whisk in butter and lemon zest. Stir in combined sifted almond meal, icing sugar and flour. Divide mixture among
prepared pan holes.
3. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool, then transfer to a wire rack to
4. Meanwhile, to make lemon curd, whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a medium saucepan until smooth. Add butter and lemon zest and juice. Place pan over low heat
and stir for 15 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain mixture into a bowl, then cover with plastic wrap. Cool completely.
5. To make meringue, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tbs at a time, and beat for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thick and
glossy and sugar has dissolved.
6. Divide friands among serving plates and dollop with curd. Spoon over meringue and lightly brown with a blowtorch. Dust with sifted icing sugar to serve.
This recipe has been tested.