1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
ground cinnamon and caster sugar, to sprinkle
750g plain flour
140g raw caster sugar
7g sachet dry yeast
250ml lukewarm milk
2 eggs, at room temperature
30g butter, melted
4 large Granny Smith apples, coarsely chopped
juice of 1 lemon
60ml maple syrup
½ tsp ground cinnamon
300ml thickened cream
5 egg yolks
80g caster sugar
1. To make doughnuts, place flour, sugar and yeast in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
2. With motor operating, add combined remaining ingredients and mixt to form a smooth, elastic dough.
3. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and set aside, covered, in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
4. Knock down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured bench. Roll out to 2cm thickness and cut out 8cm rounds. Place on an oven tray lined with baking paper, 5cm apart. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
5. Preheat oven to 180C.
6. Bake doughnuts for about 15 minutes or until puffed and golden.
7. To make apple sauce, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until combined. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until apple is soft and mixture is thick. Cool.
8. Heat cream and milk in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until hot.
9. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to same pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain.
10. Serve doughnuts with apple sauce and custard.
This recipe has not been tested.