CINNAMON ICE CREAM
1 vanilla bean, seed scraped
1 tbs ground cinnamon
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
500ml pinot noir
110g caster sugar
1 vanilla bean split
grated zest of 1 orange
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
4 firm ripe pears, peeled, cored
25g plain flour
25g caster sugar
25g almond meal
1. To make ice-cream, stir milk, cream, vanilla bean and seeds and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Cool slightly.
2. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot cream mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain. Cool. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
3. To poach pears, stir wine, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, orange zest and spices in a saucepan (just big enough to snugly fit pears) over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer, on lowest heat, covered, for 30 minutes to allow flavours to infuse. Add pears and simmer for about 1 hour or until tender.
4. Remove pears and set aside. Simmer liquor until thickened to form a syrup.
5. Preheat oven to 180C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
6. To make walnut crumb, combine flour, sugar, almond meal and walnuts in a bowl. Rub in butter. Spread mixture onto prepared tray in a single layer.
7. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool completely.
8. Serve pears, syrup and crumble with ice cream.
This recipe has not been tested.