200g brown sugar
3 large carrots, diced into 1cm cubes
120g caster sugar
2g xanthan gum
100g cream cheese
130g cottage cheese
90g glucose syrup
80g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
110g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbs milk
60g roasted walnut meal
30g walnuts, roasted, finely chopped
500ml (2 cups) fresh carrot juice
2.5g soy lecithin powder
1. To make sorbet, mix half the sugar, salt and xanthan gum in a small bowl.
2. Stir milk and remaining sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cold.
3. Pour milk mixture into a blender. Add xanthan gum mixture, cheeses and glucose. Blend on high until thoroughly mixed. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze for 4 hours or until required.
4. Meanwhile, to make cake, preheat oven to 180C and grease an 18cm square cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper.
5. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add combined sifted flour and baking powder, and remaining ingredients. Fold to combine, then pour into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Coarsely crumble.
7. Stir sugar and 400ml water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 6-8 minutes or until a golden syrup forms. Reduce heat to low. Add carrots and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until syrup thickens and carrots become caramelised and sticky.
8. To make carrot foam, place carrot juice in a large bowl. Sprinkle over lecithin powder. Using a stick blender, blend for 1-2 minutes or until a foam forms.
9. Place crumbled cake on serving plates and top with cheese sorbet and carrots. Dot carrot foam on plates to serve.
This recipe has been tested.