Chives and parsley, to garnish
2 tbs olive oil
4 pieces oxtail
200g chuck steak
200g piece speck, cut into 3cm pieces
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves
300g Swiss brown mushrooms, chopped
50g tomato paste
500ml stout beer
500ml beef stock
25g dark chocolate, finely chopped
100g lambs kidney, trimmed
1kg large potatoes
100ml thickened cream
1 tbs Dijon mustard
1. To make stew, heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Cook oxtail, chuck steak and speck in batches until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
2. Turn heat down to medium-low. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook until soft. Stir in mushrooms.
3. Stir in tomato paste, stout beer, stock and dark chocolate. Add browned oxtail, chuck steak and speck.
4. Secure lid and increase heat to medium. Bring to pressure. Cook for about 45 minutes or until meat is almost tender.
5. Release pressure and remove lid. Simmer until sauce is thickened and meat is tender. Season.
6. Preheat oven to 180C.
7. To make mashed potatoes, place potatoes on an oven tray and bake for about 1 hour or until tender.
8. When cool enough to handle, halve potatoes and scoop out flesh into a bowl. Mash until smooth. Add butter, cream and mustard. Mash until smooth. Season.
9. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Season kidneys all over. Cook, turning, until browned all over, but still pink in the middle. Stir into stew.
10. Serve stew with mashed potato. Garnish with chives and parsley.
If stout beer is too dark for your taste, you could use a lighter ale or even replace with stock or red wine.
This recipe has not been tested.