4 slices prosciutto
deep fried sliced mushrooms, shaved parmesan to garnish
2 tbs olive oil
4 eschallots, finely chopped
250g pearl barley
150ml dry white wine
1 litre hot chicken stock
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
400g mixed mushrooms, cut into 3cm pieces
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbs finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
25g parmesan, finely grated parmesan
1. Heat an oiled frying pan over medium heat. Cook prosciutto until golden and crisp. Break into shards.
2. To make risotto, heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the eschallots and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until soft but not coloured. Stir in pearl barley.
4. Add wine. Simmer until almost evaporated. Add stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly between additions, until stock is absorbed and pearl barley is tender. Stir in cayenne.
5. Melt 50g of the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring, until soft. Stir in garlic and parsley. Stir mixture into risotto. Stir in parmesan and remaining butter.
6. Serve risotto garnished with prosciutto, deep fried mushrooms, parmesan and parsley.
This recipe has not been tested.