80ml (⅓ cup) olive oil
4 red onions, thinly sliced
2 tbs caster sugar
60ml (¼ cup) balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper, to season
4 x 150g pieces calves liver, trimmed
50g thick bacon, cut into 1cm pieces
4 large potatoes, chopped
500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
1 tbs olive oil
200g eschalots, diced
200g streaky bacon, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
200ml chicken stock
3 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
70g butter, diced
1. Heat half the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes or until very soft and golden brown. Sprinkle over sugar and cook, stirring, for a further 3-4 minutes or until sticky and caramelised. Add vinegar and simmer, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until reduced and thickened. Season well and remove from heat.
2. To make puré, place potatoes in a saucepan and add enough stock to cover, topping up with water if necessary. Bring to a gentle boil. Boil for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and allow steam to evaporate. Pass potatoes through a ricer into a large bowl. Add butter and cream and beat with a wooden spoon to combine. Season.
3. To make sauce, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add eschalots and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until just soft. Add bacon and garlic and cook, stirring, for a further 3 minutes. Add port and simmer, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until reduced by half.
4. In a separate saucepan, heat the stock, thyme and bay leaf. Add to port mixture and simmer over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Strain liquid and return to same pan. Whisk in butter, one cube at a time, until combined and glossy.
5. Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Season liver all over and add to pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a warm plate and set aside, lightly covered with foil, for 5 minutes to rest.
6. Add bacon to same pan that liver was cooked in and cook for 3-4 minutes or until crisp.
7. Divide puré among serving plates and top with liver and onions. Spoon over sauce to serve.
This recipe has been tested.