Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
90g (½ cup) rice flour
90g (½ cup) tapioca flour
600g coral trout fillets, skin on, cut into 4cm pieces
3 tbs grapeseed oil
2 tbs rice wine vinegar
2 tsp thinly sliced spring onion, white part only
1 tsp English mustard
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp mirin
3 drops of fish sauce
1 pinch of chilli powder
½ lime, juiced
½ tsp grated ginger
1 garlic clove, crushed
½ tsp grated palm sugar
Salt and pepper, to season
100g baby rocket, mizuna and frisee lettuce leaves
½ cup mint leaves
½ cup coriander leaves
1 yellow banana chilli, cut into julienne
1 long red chilli, cut into julienne
1 cup beansprouts
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tbs flaked almonds, toasted
1. To make salad dressing, stir all ingredients together in a bowl until combined. Season.
2. To make salad, toss salad and herb leaves, chillies and beansprouts together in a bowl.
3. Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Gently drop garlic slices into oil and fry for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
4. Mix rice flour and tapioca together in a large bowl. In batches, add fish pieces and toss to dust.
5. Working in batches, gently drop fish pieces into oil and fry for 5 minutes on each side or until crisp and just cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season.
6. Toss dressing with salad and sprinkle over garlic chips and nuts. Divide among serving bowls and top with fish to serve.
This recipe has been tested.