6 dried red Thai chillies, soaked until soft then drained and chopped
4 garlic gloves, crushed
6 macadamia nuts
4 eschallots, chopped
2 tsp dried shrimp paste
300g water spinach or English spinach, washed
3 tbs grapeseed oil
500g squid tubes, cleaned and scored, cut into 4cm pieces
2 medium size carrots, cut into julienne
1 tsp caster sugar
Coriander leaves, beansprouts and fried shallots, to garnish
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Soak chillies in warm water until soft. Drain and chop finely. Transfer to a small processor (or mortar and pestle) with garlic, nuts, eschallots and shrimp paste. Blend to form a smooth paste.
2. Trim stems off the spinach and set aside.
3. Heat oil a wok over high heat until smoking. Add paste. Stir fry for 30 seconds. Add squid. Stir fry for 20 seconds.
4. Add spinach stems and carrots. Stir in sugar. Stir in spinach leaves until wilted.
5. Garnish stir fry with coriander, beansprouts and fried shallots. Serve with lime wedges.
This recipe has not been tested.