Toasted walnut pieces and fresh pomegranate seeds, to garnish
Greek yogurt, to serve
150g caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
150g cornflakes, finely crushed
150g butter, melted
100g caster sugar
30g cornflour dissolved in 2 tbs cold water
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g butter, melted
50g caster sugar
1 tbs honey
½ tsp ground cinnamon
90g cornflakes, lightly crushed
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line base and sides of a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper.
2. To make base, combine sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in cornflakes and butter. Press mixture over base of prepared pan. Refrigerate until required.
3. To make custard, stir 700ml of the milk and 50g of the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
4. Whisk remaining ingredients in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Return mixture to same pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes or until custard is thick. Pour custard over base.
5. To make topping, stir butter, sugar, honey and cinnamon in a saucepan over low heat until melted and combined. Stir in cornflakes. Spread over custard in pan.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes or until custard is set and top is golden brown and crisp.
7. Remove from oven and stand for 30 minutes. Remove from pan and cut into slices.
8. Garnish galaktoboureko with walnuts and pomegranate seeds. Serve with yoghurt.
This recipe has not been tested.