2 tbs vegetable oil
2 onions, roughly chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4cm-piece ginger, finely grated
4 red chillies, roughly chopped
4 curry leaves stalks, leaves picked
4 cardamom pods
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp paprika
2kg bone-in goat shoulder, chopped into 8cm pieces
2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 tbs garam masala
Salt and pepper, to season
4 mangoes, chopped
1 lime, juiced
1 tbs vegetable oil
3 eschalots, chopped
3cm-piece ginger, chopped
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp black mustard seeds
2 tbs caster sugar
2 tsp garam masala
1 pinch of chilli powder
½ tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp white vinegar
400g (2 cups) red lentils, cleaned, washed
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground turmeric
4 tbs ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, finely chopped
3cm-piece ginger, grated
1 onion, thinly sliced
½ tsp salt
270g plain flour, plus extra, to dust
1 tbs ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
600g (3 cups) basmati rice
2 cinnamon sticks
4 black cardamom pods
120g (1 cup) frozen peas
250g (1 cup) Farmers Union Greek Style Yogurt
1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
¼ cup finely chopped mint
½ tsp ground cumin
1 pinch of sugar
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until light golden. Add garlic, ginger and chilli and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Stir in curry leaves.
2. Combine spices and 60ml (¼ cup) water in a bowl. Add to onion mixture. Cook. stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until oil separates. Stir in goat. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 1½ hours or until meat is almost tender. Stir in tomato and garam masala. Bring to the boil, then simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until meat is falling off the bone. Season well.
3. To make chutney, combine mango and lime juice in a bowl. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add eschalot, ginger and chilli and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Stir in mustard seeds. Add mango mixture, sugar, garam masala, chilli powder and turmeric. Simmer for 35-40 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vinegar and season with salt.
4. To make dhal, place lentils in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add salt and half the turmeric. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until softened. Drain and return to pan with remaining turmeric.
5. Melt half the ghee in a small saucepan. Add cumin seeds and chopped onion. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add to lentils with ginger and 500ml (2 cups) water. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Season.
6 Melt remaining ghee in a frying pan. Add sliced onion and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
7. To make flatbread, place milk, ghee and salt in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until ghee melts. Set aside to cool slightly.
8. Place flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in milk mixture and stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth. Enclose in plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, to make pilau rice, melt ghee in a saucepan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in rice. Stir in cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Add enough water to cover rice. Stir in peas. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and stand for 5 minutes.
10. To make raita, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season. Cover and refrigerate until required.
11. Roll out small balls of dough into 2mm-thick rounds. Cook on a hot greased grill plate until crisp and golden brown.
12. Divide rice among serving plates and top with curry. Spoon dhal to the side and top with sliced onion. Serve with raita, chutney and flatbread.
This recipe has been tested.