1½ tsp sherry vinegar
250g buffalo mozzarella, cut into 2cm cubes
4 slices prosciutto, grilled until crisp
Chives, to garnish
2 tbs olive oil
700g fennel, quartered, core removed, fronds reserved
2 onions, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2.2kg tomatoes, quartered
Salt and pepper, to season
8 egg whites, chilled
¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 tbs coarsely chopped basil
1 tbs coarsely chopped tarragon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
½ cup ice cubes
1. To make consommé, heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add fennel, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until softened.
2. Process tomatoes in a food processor until a puré forms, then add to stockpot. Season well. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a muslin-lined sieve into a large saucepan. Squeeze muslin to extract all juice. Discard solids.
3. Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Remove from heat.
4. To make raft mixture, whisk all ingredients together in a bowl until frothy.
5. Whisk raft mixture into tomato mixture and return pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, then reduce heat and simmer gently, without stirring, for 30 minutes. Poke a small hole in centre of raft to allow steam to escape.
6. Carefully ladle consommé out of pot and through a muslin-lined sieve into a clean saucepan. Return to heat and simmer for a further 5-10 minutes or until reduced to about 2½ cups. Stir in vinegar. Season.
7. Divide mozzarella among serving bowls and ladle in consommé. Top with prosciutto and garnish with chives to serve.
This recipe has been tested.