Sesame seeds, to sprinkle
250g plain flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp dried yeast
160ml luke warm water
500g English spinach, finely chopped
½ small onion, finely chopped
½ cup finely chopped parsley
250g feta, crumbled
1 tbs sumac
1 tbs pomegranate molasses
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp sumac
200g punnet grape tomatoes, quartered lengthways
1 small red capsicum, thinly sliced
12 green olives, quartered lengthways
12 black olives, quartered lengthways
1 green spring onion, finely chopped
½ cup mint leaves
1. To make dough, sift combined flour, salt and yeast into a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix to combine. Replace paddle with a dough hook and knead to form a soft dough.
2. Transfer dough into a large oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Meanwhile, to make filling, place spinach in a colander. Lightly sprinkle with salt and toss to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes. Transfer spinach to a large clean tea towel and gather corners to form a ‘bag’. Squeeze out as much excess moisture as possible.
4. Transfer spinach to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Season with pepper.
5. Preheat oven to 200C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
6. Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll one half out on a lightly floured surface until about 3mm thick. Cut out 10cm rounds.
7. Place about a tablespoon of compacted filling into centre of rounds and fold in dough from
8. three sides to form a triangular parcel. Pinch edges firmly to seal.
9. Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Brush fatayer with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
10. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden and crisp.
11. To make salad, whisk oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Season. Add remaining ingredients. Toss to
12. Serve fatayer with salad.
For a quick version, try using packaged puff pastry.
If you prefer a more mellow onion flavor in the filling, you could cook it off before adding to the spinach mixture.
For a truly authentic dish, use Persian feta.
This recipe has been tested.