Edible flowers, roasted flaked almonds and crushed pistachios, to decorate
60g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbs milk
1 tbs matcha powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, separated
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
60ml (¼ cup) melted butter, at room temperature
100g caster sugar
1 tbs honey
1 tbs orange-flavoured liqueur
3 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
250g mascarpone cheese
250ml (1 cup) thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
1 tbs matcha powder, dissolved in 2 tbs hot water, cooled
1. To make sponge, preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 23cm cake pan and line with baking paper, overhanging on two sides.
2 Sift combined flours and baking powder into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk milk, matcha powder and vanilla together to combine.
3. Using an electric mixer, whisk eggwhite with half the sugar until soft peaks form.
4. In a clean mixer, whisk egg yolk with remaining sugar until thickened. Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture. Fold in sifted flour mixture. Fold in butter. Fold in matcha mix.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Stand in pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack. Remove paper and stand to cool completely. Once cool, use a serrated knife to slice sponge horizontally into two sheets.
7. To make syrup, place all ingredients with 60ml (¼ cup) water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Cool completely.
8. To make filling, using a handheld electric mixer, whisk egg and sugar until thick and creamy. Using a fork, lightly whisk mascarpone. Fold egg yolk mixture into mascarpone in three batches. Fold in cream.
9. Divide mixture in half and fold matcha mixture through one half.
10. Cut out 12 rounds from sponge, the same size as your ramekins or serving dishes. Brush both sides of each sponge round with syrup.
11. Place one round in base of each ramekin or dish and top with a layer of matcha-flavoured filling. Top with another round and a layer of plain mascarpone filling.
12. Decorate with edible flowers and nuts to serve.
This recipe has been tested.