400g skinless, sashimi-grade yellowtail kingfish, cut into 5mm-thick slices
1 bunch coriander stems and leaves
40ml lime juice
25g brown sugar
½ long red chilli
2 tsp fish sauce
2 ice cubes
Salt and pepper, to season
40ml fish sauce
3 tsp brown sugar
30ml fresh lime juice
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
½ cup mint leaves, chopped
½ cup coriander leaves, chopped
½ small fennel, thinly sliced
2 spring onions, white part only, thinly sliced
1 red apple, cut into julienne
1. To make nam jim, blend all ingredients, except ice, until smooth, adding ice halfway through. Season.
2. To make dressing, place fish sauce and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat for 2 minutes, swirling to warm and melt the sugar. Place lime juice in a large bowl and add fish sauce mixture. Refrigerate until cold.
3. To make salad, toss all ingredients plus a third of the dressing in a large bowl to combine.
4. Add fish to remaining dressing and toss to coat. Set aside for 5 minutes to marinate.
5. Divide fish and salad among serving bowls and serve with nam jim to the side.
This recipe has been tested.