200g plain flour
2 tbs icing sugar
125g cold butter, chopped
2-3 tbs cold water
395g can condensed milk
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
125ml lemon juice
3 egg yolks
100ml Champagne or sparkling white wine
2 tbs icing sugar
Juice of 1 orange
500g strawberries, quartered
3 egg whites
150g caster sugar
1. To make pastry, sift combined flour and icing sugar into a processor. Add butter. Process to form fine crumbs. Add enough water and process just until a dough comes together.
2. Shape pastry into a large disc and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180C.
4. Roll out pastry between two sheets of baking paper and use to line base and side of a 23cm round fluted tart tin with removable base. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beads.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove paper and beads and bake for about a further 10 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool completely.
6. To make filling, whisk all ingredients together. Pour into cold tart shell.
7. To prepare Champagne berries, stir Champagne, juice and sugar together in large bowl. Add strawberries. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to macerate.
8. To make meringue, beat egg whites with an electric mixer to form soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is thick and glossy and sugar has dissolved.
9. Spoon or pipe meringue into pie over filling.
10. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until meringue is golden and crisp. Cool at room temperature. Remove from tin and cut into slices.
11. Serve tart with berries.
Make sure your blind baked pastry is golden and crisp and properly cooled before adding the filling. If it is still warm, the pastry will go soggy.
For a change, try substituting lemon for lime juice and zest.
This recipe has been tested.