4 x 150g skinless salmon fillets
2 tbs olive oil
1½ tsp sumac
Salt and pepper, to season
2 figs, halved
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
FIG & RED WINE SAUCE
6 figs, diced
2 eschalots, thinly sliced
250ml (1 cup) red wine
1 tsp caster sugar
50g cold butter, chopped
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
100g baby rocket
2 figs, diced
4 tbs chopped macadamias, toasted
1. To make sauce, place figs, eschalots, wine and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer, stirring, for 8-10 minutes or until reduced by a third. Strain liquid, discarding solids.
2. Return liquid to pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Whisk in butter, one cube at a time, until thick and glossy.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
4. Rub salmon all over with oil and sumac. Season.
5. Roast for 8 minutes or until medium rare. Stand for 5 minutes to rest.
6. To make salad, toss all ingredients in a bowl. Season.
7. Preheat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium heat. Add figs, cut-side down, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Add vinegar and cook for 1 minute or until lightly caramelised.
8. Divide salmon, salad and figs among serving plates and drizzle over sauce to serve.
This recipe has been tested.