vegetable oil, for deep frying
4 x 200g fillets barramundi
Lemon wedges, to serve
Dill, to garnish
2 egg yolks
2 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
250ml light olive oil
2 tbs finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tbs finely chopped cornichons
2 tsp finely chopped baby capers
150g self-raising flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
250ml chilled pale ale beer
1. To make tartare sauce, process yolks, juice and mustard until smooth. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until mixture is thick. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season.
2. Line a tray with absorbent paper.
3. To make fries, cut potatoes into thick matchsticks and spread out on prepared tray. Pat dry with absorbent paper.
4. Deep fry in small batches until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season with salt.
5. To make batter, sift flour, salt and pepper into a bowl. Whisk in beer to form a smooth batter.
6. Working in batches, dip fish into batter and deep fry until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper and season with salt.
7. Serve fish and fries with sauce and lemon wedges. Garnish with dill.
For an extra flavour hit, try making a flavoured salt. Grind salt flakes with some grated lemon zest and a little fresh dill or chilli flakes.
If you love the crunch of the batter, try cutting fish into smaller chunks and battering each piece.
This recipe has been tested.