Deep-fried sage leaves and grated parmesan, to serve
2 tbs olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
250g finely chopped silverbeet
1 garlic clove, crushed
125g fresh ricotta
1 lemon, zested
Salt and pepper, to season
300g ‘00’ pasta flour, plus extra, to dust
1 tsp salt
SAFFRON BURNT BUTTER SAUCE
1 pinch of saffron threads
1. To make filling, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until very soft, but not coloured. Stir in silverbeet and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until wilted. Set aside to cool, then stir in ricotta and lemon zest. Season. Transfer to a food processor and process until almost smooth.
2. To make pasta, sift flour and salt on a work surface, make a well in the centre and break eggs into it. Using a fork, draw in flour until mixture is thick, then work in remaining flour using your hands. Knead dough for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Enclose dough in plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes. Divide dough into quarters. Using a rolling pin, flatten 1 portion until 5mm thick and about 12cm wide – nearly the width of your pasta machine. Set your pasta machine at its widest setting, then feed the dough through, narrowing the settings on your machine one notch at a time and dusting between rolls, until you reach the thinnest setting. Repeat with remaining dough.
3. Place a pasta sheet on a lightly floured work surface and trim edges. Place 3 teaspoons of filling in two rows of six, 4cm apart, to make 12.
4. Brush a little water around the filling and top with a second pasta sheet. Press firmly around filling to seal. Using a crimped pastry cutter, cut out ravioli. Repeat with remaining pasta sheets and filling to make 24 ravioli.
5. To make sauce, melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add saffron and season. Cook over low heat for 3-4 minutes or until brown and foaming.
6. Cook pasta, in batches, in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 6 minutes or until just tender and ravioli floats to the top. Drain well.
7. Divide ravioli among serving bowls and spoon over sauce. Garnish with sage and parmesan to serve.
This recipe has been tested.