800g chicken tenderloins
Sliced cucumber and kecap manis, to serve
Sliced green spring onions, to garnish
1kg pork bones
1kg chicken bones or wings
4cm piece fresh ginger, sliced
1 bunch green spring onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tbs shaoxing wine
3 tbs light soy sauce
1 tbs sesame oil
2 tsp salt
3 litres water
3 tbs peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
400g jasmine rice, washed
1 tsp salt
550ml broth (see above)
GINGER & SPRING ONION DIPPING SAUCE
6 green spring onions (lower half only), thinly sliced
4cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
¼ tsp salt
60ml peanut oil
CHILLI GARLIC DIPPING SAUCE
6 long red chillies, finely chopped
1cm piece fresh ginger, finely grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp lime juice
2 tsp caster sugar
½ tsp salt
1. To make broth, place all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, skimming any impurities that rise to the surface. Simmer for about 1 ½ - 2 hours or until reduced by half.
2. Cool slightly then strain through a colander lined with muslin. Discard solids.
3. To cook rice, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook garlic and ginger until soft. Add rice and salt. Stir to coat. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about for 15 minutes or until the broth has been absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes without lifting the lid. Fluff grains with a fork.
5. To make ginger and spring onion sauce, combine onions, ginger and salt in a small bowl. Heat oil in a small saucepan until smoking. Pour over onion mixture (be careful as it will spit). Stir to combine.
6. To make chilli garlic sauce, process all ingredients until smooth.
7. To cook chicken, bring remaining broth to a boil. Add chicken and remove pan from heat. Stand, covered, for about 5-8 minutes or until chicken is cooked (if it requires further cooking, simply return to the heat for a few minutes). Remove poached chicken and drain on absorbent paper. Arrange on serving plates.
8. Serve chicken and rice with sauces, cucumber and kecap manis. Garnish with spring onions.
Kecap manis is a sweet thick Indonesian soy sauce.
This recipe has been tested.