FORTUNE BAG STUFFING
100g chicken breast fillet, finely diced
100g peeled and deveined green prawns, finely chopped
200g mushrooms, finely chopped
225g can sliced water chestnuts, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
½ bunch finely chopped coriander roots and leaves
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 green spring onions, finely chopped
2 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
500g potatoes, cut or grated into julienne
2 tbs plain flour
vegetable oil, for deep frying
125ml oyster sauce
60ml hoisin sauce
1 tbs water
1. To make fortune bag stuffing, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with white pepper. Refrigerate until required.
2. To make potato nests, wash potatoes in a sieve until water runs clear. Dry with absorbent paper.
3. Place in a bowl with the flour. Season with salt. Toss to combine.
4. Place a metal strainer in a saucepan or wok of hot oil. Lift out and add a quarter of the potato in the shape of a nest. Dip second smaller strainer in oil and place on top of potato to hold it in place. Lower into oil and fry until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season with salt. Repeat to make 4 nests.
5. To make dipping sauce, whisk all ingredients until smooth.
6. Whisk eggs and water in a bowl. Season well with salt and white pepper.
7. Heat a greased non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add a quarter of the egg and swirl pan to cover base and form an omelette. Once set, flip and cook the other side for a minute. Repeat to make 4 omelettes.
8. To cook stuffing, heat a greased frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Stir fry filling mixture until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
9. To cook scallops, heat a greased frying pan over high heat. Season scallops all over. Add to pan and cook for 1 minute. Turn and cook for about a further 15 seconds.
10. Spoon filling into centre of omelettes and gather in sides. Secure with a toothpick to form a ‘bag’. Serve with potato nests topped with scallops and dipping sauce. .
This recipe has not been tested.