400ml can coconut cream, chilled overnight
300ml thickened cream
2½ tbs icing sugar
Toasted coconut flakes and finely grated lime zest, to serve
600ml thickened cream
250ml (1 cup) milk
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
6 egg yolks
180g caster sugar
200g digestive biscuits
20g desiccated coconut
100g butter, melted
1 pinch of ground ginger
1 pinch of salt
395g can sweetened condensed milk
130ml lime juice
4 egg yolks
1½ tbs finely grated lime zest
1. To make ice-cream, place cream, milk, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined, then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine. Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
2. Meanwhile, to make pie base, grease a 22cm round fluted tart tin with removable base.
3. Process biscuits in a food processor until finely crushed. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until combined.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Press evenly over base and side, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. To make filling, preheat oven to 160C. Using an electric mixer, whisk all ingredients until smooth and combined. Pour into pan over base and bake for 30 minutes or until set. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for two hours.
6. Open chilled coconut cream and scrape away top thickened layer, reserving for another use. Using an electric mixer, whisk cream and sugar until firm peaks form. Fold in coconut cream. Spread mixture over top of pie and decorate with coconut flakes and lime zest.
7. Serve with ice-cream to the side.
This recipe has been tested.