Salt and pepper, to season
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
20g wild black rice
1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
500ml (2 cups) white wine vinegar
1 tbs peppercorns
1 tbs mustard seeds
1 tbs coriander seeds
3 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of rosemary
1 red onion, thinly sliced
3 baby radishes, thinly sliced
2 tbs soy sauce
2 limes, zested, juiced
_ bunch coriander, leaves picked, stems finely chopped
2cm-piece fresh ginger, finely grated
1 fresh jalapeño, finely chopped
400g sashimi-grade tuna, cut into 1.5cm cubes
2 avocados, flesh scooped
1 lemon, juiced
2 egg yolks
_ lemon, juiced
1 tbs white wine vinegar
250ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
1 tbs wasabi paste
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1. To make pickled vegetables, place all ingredients, except onion and radish, in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Place onion and radish in a bowl, then strain liquid on top. Set aside to cool. Refrigerate until required.
2. To make ceviche, combine all ingredients, except tuna, in a bowl and set aside.
3. To make avocado puré, blend avocado and lemon juice until smooth. Season.
4. Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Deep-fry rice for 20 seconds or until puffed. Pour through a sieve to drain. Season.
5. To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks, juice and vinegar in a food processor until well combined. With the motor running, gradually add oil, drop by drop at first, then in a thin, steady stream until thick and emulsified. Stir in wasabi and mustard. Season.
6. Add tuna to ceviche mixture and toss to combine.
7. Divide puré among serving plates and top with tuna, vegetables and cucumber. Scatter with puffed rice and dot with mayo to serve.
This recipe has been tested.