- Preparation time:
- 1 hour
- Cooking time:
- 45 minutes
- 2 medium mangoes, cut into 3cm pieces
- pulp of 4 passionfruit, strained
- Crushed roasted pistachios, to garnish
SAFFRON CRÈME ANGLAISE
- 1 litre whole milk
- 10 saffron threads
- 10 egg yolks
- 220g caster sugar
- 750ml water
- 660g caster sugar
- 6 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 tsp rosewater
- 120g full cream milk powder
- 75g self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 80ml thickened cream
- melted ghee, for deep frying
- To make crème anglaise, heat milk and saffron in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until hot.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to same pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes or thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain.
- To make syrup, stir water, sugar and cardamom pods in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until thickened to form a syrup. Stir in rosewater.
- To make dumplings, sift combined milk powder, flour and cardamom into a bowl. Using your hands, stir in cream to form a soft dough. Roll dough into walnut-size balls.
- Deep fry dumplings in batches until dark golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper then add to hot syrup to soak for 30 minutes.
- Combine mangoes and passionfruit in a bowl.
- Serve dumplings with mango and passionfruit and crème anglaise. Garnish with pistachios.
• This recipe has not been tested.