- Preparation time:
- 1 hour
- Cooking time:
- 1 hour 20 minutes
- 800g pork fillet
- 2 tbs sweet paprika
- 1 tbs salt flakes
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander roots, chopped
- 1 dried chipotle chilli, bruised
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tbs of the rub
- 1 tbs honey
PICKLED CARROTS & BEETS
- 250ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbs coriander seeds
- 1 bunch Dutch carrots, peeled
- 2 small beetroot, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs of the glaze (as above)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 400g mixed canned beans, drained (we used chickpeas, brown lentils, borlotti and butter beans)
- 2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- ½ small red capsicum, cut into 1cm pieces
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ bunch coriander, leaves picked
- To make rub, combine all ingredients in a bowl (set aside 2 tablespoons for the glaze). Add pork to bowl and rub in spice mixture all over. Refrigerate, covered, for 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- To make glaze, stir all ingredients except honey, in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Simmer until reduced by half. Remove from heat and stir in honey. Strain and season.
- To prepare carrots and beets, stir vinegar, sugar, salt and seeds in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add carrots and beets and simmer, covered until tender. Drain.
- To make the capsicum jam, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, capsicum and garlic until very soft. Stir in sugar and 2 tablespoons of the glaze. Season.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook pork, turning, until browned all over.
- Transfer to the oven and roast for about 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 60C on a meat thermometer. Exact cooking time will depend on thickness of pork fillet.
- Transfer to a warm plate and set aside, lightly covered with foil, to rest for 10 minutes. Slice thickly.
- To make bean salad, whisk oil and juice in a large bowl. Season. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
- 10. Serve sliced pork with salad, carrots and beets, capsicum jam and glaze.
This dish would also work well with chicken breasts, beef or fish fillets.
This recipe has not been tested.