- Preparation time:
- 30 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 25 minutes
- 12 large prawns, peeled and deveined
- 70g salt dissolved in 1 litre water
- baby cos lettuce leaves, to serve
- 2 long red chilies, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
GREEN PAPAYA SALAD
- 60ml fish sauce
- 60ml lime juice
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 200g vermicelli noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 stalk lemongrass, finely chopped (white part)
- 2 green spring onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup each chopped mint, coriander and Thai basil
- 1 green papaya, peeled, grated
- 1 eschallot, thinly sliced
- 12 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup beansprouts
- Place prawns in salt water for 30 minutes.
- To make marinade, process all ingredients until combined. Transfer to a large bowl and add prawns. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make salad, whisk fish sauce, juice and sugar in a large bowl until sugar dissolves. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
- Heat a barbecue hotplate or frying pan over medium heat. Cook prawn mixture, tossing, until prawns are just cooked through.
- Serve salad in lettuce leaves topped with prawn mixture.
If time permits, soak the noodles for the salad in the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar mixture for an hour before adding the fresh ingredients. This will give them time to absorb and take on the flavours.
This recipe makes 12 canape-style serving or 4 entree course servings.
This recipe has not been tested.