- Preparation time:
- 20 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 20 minutes
- 600g firm white skinless fish fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 8 baby cos lettuce leaves
- Thinly sliced red chilli, to garnish
- 125ml (½ cup) white vinegar
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 curry leaves stalks, leaves picked
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2cm-piece ginger, grated
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp panch phoran
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- To make pickled radish, stir vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until hot and sugar dissolves. Pour over radishes in a bowl and set aside to cool. Drain.
- To make masala chickpeas, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add curry leaves and fry for 1 minute or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Add onion, ginger and chilli to pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in panch phoran, garam masala and turmeric. Stir in chickpeas and tomato. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine fish in a bowl with oil and lemon zest. Season well and set aside.
- Preheat a frying pan over high heat. Add fish and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned and just cooked through.
- Place lettuce leaves on serving plates. Fill with chickpeas and fish, then top with pickled radish. Garnish with fried curry leaves and sliced chilli to serve.
This recipe has been tested.