- Preparation time:
- 1 hour 45 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 50 minutes
- 4 zucchini flowers
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Micro herbs, to garnish
- 600g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 4 tbs fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 red birds eye chilli, finely chopped
- 400g arborio rice
- 120ml white wine
- 800ml hot chicken stock
- 50g grated parmesan
- 170g pitted kalamata olives, sliced
ZUCCHINI FLOWER FILLING
- 300g ricotta cheese
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 egg yolk
- 250ml sparkling iced water
- 145g rice flour
- 80g tapioca starch
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- To make risotto, place pumpkin on an oven tray. Toss with half the oil and season.
- Roast for about 20 minutes or until charred and almost tender.
- To make risotto, heat butter and remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and celery until soft. Stir in rosemary and chilli.
- Add rice. Cook, stirring, for a further 5 minutes. Add wine. Simmer until almost evaporated. Add stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly between additions, until stock is absorbed and rice is tender but still al dente. Stir in roasted pumpkin, parmesan and olives. Season.
- To make zucchini filling, combine ingredients in a medium bowl. Remove stamens from centre of each zucchini flower, then spoon or pipe filling into centre. Twist petals to close.
- To make batter, whisk egg yolk and iced water in a small bowl until combined. Add combined sifted flours and use a knife to just mix it together (do not whisk it or you will overwork the flour).
- Working in batches, dip zucchini flowers in batter, allow excess batter to drain off, then gently drop into oil and fry, turning halfway, for 4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season.
- Serve risotto with zucchini flowers. Garnish with micro herbs.
This recipe has not been tested.