- Preparation time:
- 50 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 30 minutes
- 4 green apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 280g (2 cups) dates, pitted, chopped
- 2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 250g unsalted butter
- 440g (2 cups) caster sugar
- 2 cups (220g) chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 450g (3 cups) plain flour
- Sliced strawberries, to decorate
- 125g unsalted butter
- 220g (1 cup) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 80ml (⅓ cup) milk
- 70g (1 cup) shredded coconut, toasted
- 2 cups (220g) walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 100g butter, softened
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 110g (⅔ cup) icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180C and line 2 x 12 ⅓ -cup-capacity holes of a muffin pan with paper cases.
- Place apples, dates and bicarb in a bowl and pour over 500ml (2 cups) boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in sifted flour. Stir in apple and date mixture.
- Divide mixture among paper cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- To make topping, stir butter, sugar and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in coconut and nuts. Spoon mixture on top of cupcakes and set aside to set.
- To make butter cream, using an electric mixer, beat all ingredients together for 2-3 minutes or until pale and fluffy.
- Top cupcakes with buttercream and strawberries to serve.
This recipe has been tested.