- Preparation time:
- 45 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 1 hour
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Hot dog rolls and grated cheese, to serve
- 200g Angus Beef mince
- 200g pork mince
- 1 tbs fresh finely chopped thyme
- 1 tbs fresh finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tbs fresh finely chopped oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1kg vine-ripened tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 250ml light olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- To make sausages, combine all ingredients in a bowl, massaging well to infuse flavours. Season. Divide into 4 portions. Roll each portion into a sausage shape. Refrigerate, covered, until required.
- To make tomato relish, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft and pale golden. Add tomatoes. Simmer, stirring often, until soft and thick. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer for 5 minutes. Season.
- To make caramelised onions, heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add sugar and season well with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 30 minutes or until browned. Stir in vinegar.
- To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks and juice until smooth. With motor operating, drizzle in oil until thick and smooth. Stir in mustards. Season. Refrigerate.
- Brush sausages all over with oil and season.
- Cook on a barbecue grill plate, on medium heat, until browned all over and cooked through.
- Serve sausages in rolls topped with cheese, mayonnaise, caramelised onions and tomato relish.
This recipe has not been tested.