- Preparation time:
- 30 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 45 minutes
- 4 slices prosciutto
- deep fried sliced mushrooms, shaved parmesan to garnish
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 eschallots, finely chopped
- 250g pearl barley
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1 litre hot chicken stock
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 80g butter
- 400g mixed mushrooms, cut into 3cm pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbs finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 25g parmesan, finely grated parmesan
- Heat an oiled frying pan over medium heat. Cook prosciutto until golden and crisp. Break into shards.
- To make risotto, heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the eschallots and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until soft but not coloured. Stir in pearl barley.
- Add wine. Simmer until almost evaporated. Add stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring constantly between additions, until stock is absorbed and pearl barley is tender. Stir in cayenne.
- Melt 50g of the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring, until soft. Stir in garlic and parsley. Stir mixture into risotto. Stir in parmesan and remaining butter.
- Serve risotto garnished with prosciutto, deep fried mushrooms, parmesan and parsley.
This recipe has not been tested.