- Preparation time:
- 45 minutes
- Cooking time:
- 1 hour
- 1kg potatoes
- pinch saffron
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup salt
- 4 x duck breasts, skin lightly scored
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ½ tsp salt, extra
- 500g baby green peas, blanched
- 25g butter
- 80g brown sugar, firmly packed
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 star anise
- Finely grated zest of 4 oranges
- 250ml orange juice
- 125ml chicken stock
- 125ml orange flavoured liqueur
- To cure duck breast before cooking, combine sugar and salt on a tray. Add duck breasts, turning to coat in mixture. Refrigerate, skin-side up, for 30 minutes.
- Cut potatoes into 1cm-thick slices. Using a 2-3cm round cutter, cut out rounds from slices.
- Place potato rounds in a saucepan of cold salted water over low heat. Add saffron. Bring to a boil. Drain and allow steam to evaporate.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook potato slices, in batches, until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Season with salt.
- Cook peas in a saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain. Return to pan with butter. Season well. Lightly crush with a masher or fork. Cover to keep warm.
- Combine Chinese five-spice and extra salt in a bowl. Brush salt and sugar mixture off duck breasts, then add to bowl and toss to coat in five spice mixture.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place duck in a large deep frying pan, skin side down. Place over a low heat and cook until skin is golden and crisp. Turn and cook for 1 minute. Transfer duck to an oven tray and roast for about 5 minutes or until cooked as desired. Set aside to rest, for 5 minutes.
- To make sauce, drain excess fat from pan that duck was cooked in. Add sugar, vinegar, spices and zest. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in juice, stock and liqueur. Simmer until reduced and slightly thickened to form a sauce. Season. Stir in any juices from rested, sliced duck. Strain.
- 10. Serve sliced duck with peas, potatoes and sauce.
Exact cooking time of duck will depend on thickness of breast.
This recipe has been tested.