- Preparation time:
- 50 minutes (+ 4 hours chilling)
- Cooking time:
- 1 hour
- 4 small lemons
- 250g mascarpone
- 2 lemons, zested
- 3 tbs limoncello
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 3 egg whites
- 50g caster sugar
- 125g butter, softened
- 220g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbs fresh lavender flowers, finely chopped
- 2 tbs finely grated orange zest
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
- 450g (3 cups) plain flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- To make mousse, lightly whisk mascarpone, lemon zest, limoncello and lemon juice together to combine.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white until soft peaks form. With the motor running, gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved. Fold egg white mixture into mascarpone mixture.
- Cut lemons in half lengthways and hollow out, leaving a shell. Spoon mousse into lemon shells and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, to make biscotti, using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. With the motor running, beat in egg, one at a time, until combined. Beat in lavender, orange zest and vanilla paste. Fold in combined sifted flour, baking powder and salt until a dough forms.
- Shape into two loaves and enclose in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 170C and line an oven tray with baking paper. Remove plastic wrap and transfer loaves to prepared tray, allowing room to spread. Bake for 30 minutes or until firm and golden.
- When cool enough to handle, thickly slice and return to tray in a single layer.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Divide mousse among serving plates and serve with biscotti to the side.
This recipe has been tested.